FacebookTwitterYouTubeFlickrPinterestGoogle+

Saturday 4 September 2010

Peach Ice Cream

The base of this recipe is Ben and Jerry's Fresh Georgia Peach ice cream. I have significantly cut down the cream and sugar :-)

Of course my peaches were from BC, not Georgia :-) I got a giant box of peaches from the superstore, and froze a whole bunch, made peach preserves and peach pie, and the rest got tossed into this icecream. I must admit, I loved this one... the taste is very subtle and peachy, and does taste of summer. We tried it with some maple syrup topping, and while I wouldn't use very much, as the taste of maple can overpower the delicate taste of peach, a little bit does accentuate the flavours.

This icecream will be a little icy, due to the fact that it has chopped peach bits in it, so make sure you take out of the fridge for a few minutes before serving. If you want the full rich flavour, substitute whipping cream instead of the half and half (single cream) and increase the sugar by 1/2 a cup. Also, try to use pasteurised eggs, as this recipe does use raw eggs in it.

Recipe:

2 cups (500 ml) fresh sweet peaches, chopped fine (or processed coarsely)
1 cup sugar (250 ml)
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 1/4 cups of half and half (single cream) (625 ml)
2 eggs
1 cup milk (250 ml)
1 tbsp peach schnapps (optional, but will keep the icecream from getting too hard)

Method:

Stir together peaches, 1/4 cup sugar, peach schnapps and lemon juice. Pop into the fridge, stirring every so often for a few hours (an hour minimum)

Strain the juices from the peaches into a bowl, and return the peaches to the fridge.

Whisk the eggs and sugar in a deep bowl, till creamy, then whisk in the milk and cream and peach juice. Stir in the chopped peaches and freeze in an ice cream maker.

If you don't have an icecream maker, follow this method I used for chai icecream, which works as well.

Serve with a dribble of maple syrup or chocolate sauce.

Enjoy!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

I love hearing back from my friends and readers. Please let me know how you liked this post, and if you would consider making this recipe, or have already made it. Please take a moment to post pictures on my Facebook page, if you do happen to take a couple :)

Please note, that due to the enormous amount of spam comments I've been getting, I am re-enabling comment moderation. Your comment will be visible on approval. Apologies in advance.